1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups evaporated milk
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 cups heavy cream
1. Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Gently mix the sugar and water together so it resembles wet sand. Be sure there are no stray grains of sugar on the sides of the pan. Wash these down with a wet hand to prevent crystallization. Place pan over high heat. Do not move the pan or stir.
2. When the sugar begins to boil, add the lemon juice. Do not stir–the bubbles will do the stirring for you. Continue to cook until the mixture turns a dark amber color. This will happen fairly fast, so stay close. When it does, remove the pan from the heat.
3. Immediately whisk in the evaporated milk. The mixture will bubble up and steam like molten lava. Some cooks like to wear an oven mitt for protection. When the milk is incorporated, add the vinegar and salt. Cool the mixture completely over an ice bath.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the cream until it forms soft peaks, then gently pour the cooled caramel mixture on top and fold them together. Transfer to a shallow freezable container.
5. Cover with plastic wrap or waxed paper pressed directly to the surface and place in the freezer for 6 hours.
This recipe originally appeared at Self.