Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream – A delicious homemade vanilla ice cream, stuffed with nuggets of homemade, egg-free cookie dough. An all time classic favourite.
Author: Barry C. Parsons
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: About 1 litre
For the ice cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups whipping cream (35% milk fat)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
For the cookie dough
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- pinch salt
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips
To prepare the ice cream
- Combine the milk and cream and heat in the microwave (or on top of the stove over medium heat) to scalding but not boiling.
- In a medium sized saucepan whisk together the egg yolks and sugar very well for about 3 minutes until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Whisking constantly, add about a cup of the scaled milk to the egg yolk mixture. This tempers the egg yolks so that they do not cook and scramble. Whisk in about another cup and make sure it is well blended with the egg yolk mixture. Finally add the remaining scaled milk and cream and make sure it is well blended in.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly but slowly for about 5 minutes until the mixture slightly thickens. At this point you should be able to dip the wooden spoon in the custard and draw a distinct line with your finger on the back of the wooden spoon. Do not boil or mixture may curdle.
- Chill the custard very well for several hours or overnight.
- When completely chilled, stir the custard well and pour into your ice cream maker. Process for 20- 30 minutes until the ice cream becomes as thick as possible.
- Transfer the ice cream quickly to a chilled metal or glass bowl and very quickly fold in the nuggets of cookie dough.
- Place in an airtight container and freeze in the coldest part of your refrigerator freezer or deep freezer for several hours or preferably overnight before serving.
- I like to fold the ice cream at least a couple of times every couple of hours for the first few hours to make sure all of the cookie dough pieces do not settle to the bottom of the container and to make sure they get evenly distributed throughout the ice cream.
To prepare the cookie dough nuggets
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract very well.
- Mix together the flour and salt and add to the creamed mixture.
- Fold in just until a dough forms then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough in small nuggets about the size of the top of your pinky finger. Place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer to freeze completely before folding them through the ice cream.
This recipe originally appeared at Rock Recipes