5 egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon butter
2/3 cup sugar, divided
3 cups half-and-half
1 or 2 sprigs thyme
1/2 vanilla bean, optional
3 duck egg yolks
2 chicken egg yolks
1. For the curd: In a saucepan, combine yolks, lemon juice and sugar. Stirring continuously, gently heat over a low flame until curd is thick and creamy (do not boil). Off heat, stir in butter and salt. Transfer curd to a bowl; press plastic wrap directly on curd’s surface, then allow it to cool.
2. For the gelato: Set aside 2 tablespoons of the sugar. In a pot, combine remaining sugar with half-and-half, thyme and vanilla bean; bring to a simmer. Turn off heat and let mixture steep.
3. Whisk yolks with the reserved 2 tablespoons sugar until light and thick. Whisk a little warm milk into the eggs to warm them; continue adding milk while whisking. Remove thyme and vanilla bean. Return pot to the stove; heat, whisking constantly, until custard thickens. Stir in lemon curd; season with a pinch of salt. Remove custard to an ice bath and chill completely. Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
1 cup butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together; add to butter and sugar mixture, mixing well. Chill for 1 hour.
4. Using a small cookie scoop, scoop batter onto a cookie sheet, placing cookies at least 1 inch apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
Strawberries, stemmed, sliced
Candied lemon peel, optional
1. Combine berries with sugar and let them macerate.
2. Scoop gelato into a wine or parfait glass. Top with berries and a vanilla wafer. Garnish with candied lemon peel, if desired. You may also assemble this dessert as an ice cream sandwich.
— Chef Jayne Reichert, Cavallo Point Lodge Cooking School
This recipe originally appeared at San Jose Mercury News.