Serving Size: Makes 1 quart of ice-cream.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 heaping teaspoons loose black tea (preferably Indian brands like Wagh Bakri, Red Label or flavors like Darjeeling or Assam)
Masala Chai Spice mix:
- 6 cardamom pods, smashed or ground
- 6 whole cloves
- 1-1.5 inches freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cinnamon stick, broken in pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, ground
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, tea, and masala chai spice mix, and bring to a thick boil.
- Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a strainer into a new bowl. Add salt and whisk.
- Seal mixture in an airtight container and chill overnight.
- Following day, churn ice cream according to manufacturer instructions. Chill in freezer for 3-4 hours before serving.
This recipe originally appeared at India.com