Grilled Pineapple and Coconut Sherbet
- 125 milliliters water
- 100 milliliters sugar
- 400 milliliters light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 450 grams fresh pineapple slices (peeled and cored)
- pinches salt
- a few tablespoons shredded or dessicated coconut – dry toasted in a pan over medium heat until golden brown
- a few more pieces of grilled pineapple for garnish (optional)
- Brush each pineapple slice lightly with some oil and grill each side for 3 minutes on a hot griddle pan.
- Once all the slices are grilled, blitz until smooth.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Mix the pineapple, coconut milk, sugar syrup, lemon juice and salt and chill for at least 6 hours and then churn in an ice cream maker.
- Put in a suitable container and freeze until ready to serve.
Author Notes: This sherbet is refreshing, summery and tropical, while the smokiness from the grilled pineapple adds a wonderful depth. A sherbet is usually a sorbet with dairy added which in this instance I replaced with light coconut milk.
This recipe originally appeared at Food 52.