Chocolate Rum Cherry Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 2 cup of fresh cherries, pitted or frozen cherries
- 1 1/4 cup of dark rum
- 2 cans of coconut milk – unsweetened
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup of dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of raw sugar
- 1 tsp of instant coffee
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
How to make it
- 1. Pour the dark rum into a large measuring cup and slowly add the cherries while mixing them until they are all covered with the rum. Soak the cherries overnight.
- 2. Pour the coconut milk, arrowroot, cocoa powder, raw sugar, instant coffee, and vanilla extract into a saucepan and mix well until blended. Turn the burner to medium-high heat and heat until a slow boil starts while whisking the mixture to prevent burning. Turn the heat down to low and allow the mixture to heat for 5 minutes.
- 3. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a heat-resistant mixing bowl or measuring cup. Cover the mixture and place into the refrigerator to cool down overnight.
- 4. Remove the cherries-rum mixture and chocolate coconut milk out of the refrigerator. Strain the cherries and save the cherry infused rum for a future special cocktail. Place the cherries into a food processor and pulse them in order to get a rough chop. You may want to restrain the cherries after placing them into the food processor because the liquid may loosen up afterwards.
- 5. Whisk the chocolate coconut milk mixture until it regains some of the consistency. It may be in thick like a chocolate pudding, but will be still okay to make into ice cream. Slowly add the chopped cherries into the mixture and add them to a prepared ice cream maker bowl. Prepare the ice cream mixture in accordance of the ice cream maker’s instructions and then freeze for about 2-4 hours until desired texture.
This recipe originally appeared at Group Recipes.