Buttermilk-Plum Ice Cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1/3 cups plus 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 cups peeled, chopped black plums (such as ‘Methley’)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Whisk together first 4 ingredients and 1 1/3 cups sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking often, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture just begins to boil. Pour mixture into a medium-size metal bowl. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water. Place bowl containing custard mixture in ice water, and cool completely (about 30 minutes), whisking occasionally. Cover and chill custard mixture 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, stir together plums, corn syrup, salt, and remaining 3 Tbsp. sugar in a small saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 12 minutes or until plums are very tender. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Cover and chill plum mixture 2 hours.
3. Pour custard mixture into freezer container of a 2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. (Instructions and times may vary.) Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe bowl or pan, and freeze 1 hour. Meanwhile, freeze plum mixture 30 minutes. Dollop frozen plum mixture over frozen ice cream, and gently swirl.
This recipe originally appeared at My Recipes.