Giuliano Hazan’s Cantaloupe Ice Cream
- 1 pound cantaloupe without the rind
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Cut the melon into chunks about one inch thick.
- Put the melon chunks, the sugar and the water into a blender and puree until liquified. If using a food processor, put the melon and sugar in first and add the water after the melon is pureed completely.
- Whip the cream until it is about the density of sour cream. Add the cream to the pureed melon and stir well. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- When it is quite cold, pour the melon mixture into an ice-cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. When done, the ice cream will be rather soft but ready to eat just the same. If you like it firmer, put it in a container with a tight-sealing lid and leave it in the freezer for three or four hours. If preparing it much longer in advance, let it soften in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe originally appeared at New York Times.