Vegan Snickers Ice Cream
- 2 13.5 ounce cans full fat coconut milk (roughly 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup raw sugar, depending on preferred sweetness
- 1 tsp quality vanilla extract
- 1 pinch xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan caramel sauce (subbing full fat coconut milk for the cream)
- 2 ounces quality dark chocolate (non-dairy)*
- 1/3 cup roasted salted peanuts
- Add coconut milk to a saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, stir and bring to a simmer. Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and pinch xanthan gum. Whisk to combine.
- Transfer to a glass bowl and refrigerate until cooled. I left mine in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours and covered it with plastic wrap once it was no longer steaming hot.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly chilled, transfer into the pre-chilled bowl of your ice cream machine and mix according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the ice cream is nearly done add half of the caramel, chocolate flecks and peanuts. To make my chocolate curls I melted my chocolate first, let it cool and then ran a scraper over it to make the pieces more edible. This, however, isn’t necessary.
- When the ice cream machine stops, transfer to a freezer-safe container and sprinkle in the rest of the chocolate flecks, peanuts and caramel in layers, swirling with a knife to slightly incorporate. I also added in a vegan snickers bar, but this is also optional.
- At this point you can either consume it soft, or pop it in the freezer to harden. It should keep fresh for about a week. Thaw for 10-15 minutes before serving.
This recipe originally appeared at Minimalist Baker.